Any national wishing to travel Myanmar has to have a passport validity of 6 months validity or beyond. A government of Burma regulates the laws and control travel to, from, within Burma.
Before arriving Burma, you should consult the Burmese embassy or the consulate. While entering Burma, you will be required to present valid visa along with passports, in all airports, train stations hotels.
Some of the key visa facts are listed below:
- Most of the foreign nationals would require a visa to enter Myanmar. There are few countries for which visa free travel is permitted (14 days or longer in some cases) for Singapore, Brunei, Cambodia, Laos, Indonesia, Philippines, Vietnam, and Thailand.
- eVisa program was launched in September, 2014. eVisa program allows travelers to apply for the visa online. The process is designed to make the process simpler especially for countries that do not have Myanmar embassy.
- Close to 100 countries nationals are allowed to apply for eVisa and you can get the list from the eVisa website. eVisa is not valid for India, China or Thai entry points.
- Do not apply for your visa too early in case you are travelling to Myanmar as the validity for tourist visa is only 28 days and 70 days for business travelers. It can be extended by another 14 days with an additional cost.
- Neither do apply for you visa- too late- Embassies or consulate can take more than two weeks to process your Myanmar visa application and it may take longer for countries where they don’t have Myanmar embassy.
- Once the visa is approved, it has to be used within three months. Typically a single tourist visa will cost about 89 EUR. Basis the country of origin, the application procedure could vary especially if you are a citizen of a country that does not have Myanmar embassy or consulate will take longer. So factor in the time when you are applying for the visa.
- A government of Burma also allows Visa on arrival and the programme is only available to business travelers with a letter of invitation from a registered business with Ministry of Commerce.
- If the entrance is through Tachilek, Myawaddy, KawThoung, or Htee Khee- Sunaron border crossing, you can depart from Mandalay airport or Rangoon airport. If you enter via Muse, Tamu you have to exit at the same crossing through which you entered Burma.
- Visa and passport information regularly gets updated so you should verify all the information from the website or the local embassy office before you travel.